Wind Wing on Land

Forums Wing Foiling Wind Wing on Land

I’ve just gone down this rabbit hole of wind wing. Ive had a few sessions in the water and a bunch on my mountain board on land.

I don’t know if the land practice is helping me learn the characteristics of the wing or if it’s helping me lock in bad habits that will hurt my water performance later.

Any thoughts on this?

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Replies
    foilgraham
    Participant

When I first got my wing, I hit up an abandoned airstrip for a little downwind on my longboard. Lots of practice with handwork associated with gybes. I definitely think it’s a good thing. I’m going to get back at it so I can practice tacks.

richie-rich
    Participant

My longboard has managed to grow legs and find a better home.

Been thinking about doing this lately to help me progress with variations of tacks as some don’t make sense in my goldfish brain.

I think if it doesn’t hurt on asphalt/concrete I’d wind hurt in the water!

Rich

Ps how lunch are you with an abandoned airfield!

foilgraham
    Participant

The airstrip is part of the goldmine that this spot is. A protected ‘lagoon’ where I did a few solo 1-2 mile downwinders to learn the basics.

Place is a recently opened navy base called Fort Monroe. One of the first places the British landed when heading up the Chesapeake bay. Lots of facisnating history, plus a brewery by the launch and a perfect floating dock for learning dock starts.

Saltwater_1
    Participant

I’ve been getting into a bit of wind wing skating lately.
    Using a Hamboards Fish, it’s great fun.
    I think it will help me get my head around a few moves but yes it is way different than foiling on water so it could do as much harm as good.

Foil Feed
    Keymaster

You would learn pretty quickly not to let the tip drop if you are riding on land and dragging the wingtip along the ground.

ericfoil

N8
    Participant

I think it helps build muscle memory with how the wing flies and reacts, especially in gusts and turbulence. Then I could feel how it was going to pull against me while moving and turning or riding toeside.

It definitely helped me get comfortable switching my hands during transitions, along with practicing gybes and tacks. It’s nice being able to concentrate mostly on the wing and hand positioning at first and not the added hydrofoil speed, pitch, roll, yaw, water depth, other riders, etc.

I prefer using a Carver skateboard on asphalt because of its tight turning radius(like a foil) and less rolling resistance. Landboards on sand/dirt require more power due to more rolling resistance but can still be fun just more of a workout.

I tried a harness line for the first time on a skateboard to see how it would work and was surprised to find I could gybe while staying hooked in.

Might want to find a way to protect tips from dragging especially on asphalt since wings aren’t reinforced for asphalt. Better yet, just don’t drag the wing on asphalt, sand, dirt, rocks, ha ha.

Final note after reading some of the other great threads on this forum.

It’s great for practicing riding switch stance. Longboard skateboards are especially good for switch practice since they’re less twitchy. I’m not saying try to do gybes or turns switch stance, just get comfortable riding in a straight line switch stance and maybe switching foot positions while riding. I’ll post more on that in the topic of Switch Stance.

Cheers and thanks for listening to my first comment.

mckeem
    Participant

Yup, I’ve been trying it out on the skateboard in an empty parking lot. It’s strange where I live, this year has been unusually calm with little to no wind since December. I’m talking like 4-8knts!
    I finally got a windy day yesterday and got my first ride (on asphalt) and started the motions of passing the wing around and making transitions.

The biggest thing for me to wrap my head around is the Gybe vs Tack.
    So if I’m going along, and I turn downwind and pass the wing in front of me, that is a tack?

When I turn into the wind and pass the wing over my head that is a gybe?

On the skate I was mostly gybing.

I was also measuring how far I could get up wind. I parked in the middle of the lot, rode down wind, and was able to get back up wind, past the truck to the end of the lot. Don’t know if it’s easier on a skate.

Next lesson before the water is switch stance. This is going to be sketch.

rippitgood
    Participant

I really think it helps when you are starting out. Like learning where those handles are to grab without looking during transitions. Great for really cold days when the wind chill is just too brutal in the water. Used my carver on asphalt (duct tape on windtips). It’s a lot of fun in and of itself. Think you got it backwards- the gybe is the downwind move and the tack is the upwind one. On foil the gybe is the easier one- make most of my foiling gybes but have yet to make (or try) a tack. Winging really exponentially increases your foil time and now there aren’t many days that I can’t get my fix either winging or surffoiling. Got a new A-wing last week and it’s a quantum leap forward from my old original slingwing. Stoked!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.