Weight Placement

Forums Beginner Weight Placement

Participant

The weight placement while foiling is much different than a normal surfboard. You have to focus very hard on keeping weight in the center of the board. One thing that I found help was opening my shoulders forward and squaring them off. You see this technique especially being used by Laid when he’s big wave foiling he looks like he’s bear hugging right in front of him. This helps because it avoids the sideways weight displacement which can make the board roll and tip over which is the last thing you want. You don’t want to be trying to turn on the rail too much at the beginning because it is different from a normal board and you have many different added dimensions to turn it. Basically just keep your weight over the stringer of the board or it can roll over and your foil can hit you!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Replies
    ericfoil

Excellent

Wetstuff
    Participant

I am going to have so many notes written on my arm when I get to the water… That sounds totally logical, facing forward you fall like a telephone pole off the side, whereas facing the side, I’d bet you are inclined to fold-at-the-waist inviting a meet-n-greet with a machete. Thanks for that.

Jim

ericfoil

Great tip

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.