Takuma Mast Options

Forums General Chat Takuma Mast Options

Participant

So I’m on an LOL 1600 right now with aluminum gear and getting ready to upgrade to the kujira. I’m 215 lbs and the 1600 has worked for me pretty much everything except the biggest days. Some things I’m trying to sort out:

Will Takuma ever put out a shorter fuselage?

How does the carbon mast handle the larger wings? Is it going to be too flexy for a large rider?

Can you feel the difference between the masts when you are riding?

Should I get the 1210 with carbon, or the 980 and 1210 with aluminum? I’m not sure how much use the 980 would get with my size. Would the 1210 plus the 1300 LOL be a better combo for my size?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Replies
    tjbigwinds
    Participant

Hi there, this is T.J. from Big Winds, Hood River, OR. I’d be happy to help answer some of your questions regarding the new 2021 Takuma lineup. We have been riding the Profoil 1600 for a couple of seasons now, and really liking the Kujira 1210 in the same conditions. The Carbon 75cm mast can certainly handle the 36.5″ wing span on this wing, as well as the bigger 1440 at 42.5″. The Alloy 75/85 is a redesign, and is now stiffer and plugged on both ends. The Fuse is tapered thinner towards the tail and now has a downward angle of attack that is achieved only by a base plate shim on the Carbon 75 mast. Both fuse lengths are equal, and no word of a shorter fuse on the horizon. Are you currently riding the 1600 on Alloy or Carbon? If Carbon, stick with it, and just get the 1210/220 wing set and shim. If Alloy, I’d consider getting the updated version all together.

You can reach me at tj@bigwinds.com if you have any further questions.

Thanks, hope this helps!

exiled
    Participant

Thanks TJ! I actually did end up ordering the 1210 in carbon from you guys along with a spare LOL tail. I’ve had it now on Oahu for a couple of weeks.

jondrums
    Participant

is it even possible to buy just the 1210 front wing?

exiled
    Participant

I thin you’ll have to find a retailer willing to part out a kit. When I talked to Big Winds to order my foil it sounded like they were considering maybe doing that going forward. Probably best to call them.

jondrums
    Participant

All the retailers want to sell a wing/tail combo as far as I can find. When they value the tail over $200 and there is next to no resale market for the Takuma tails, that’s a non-starter for me.

jondrums
    Participant

PS. would anyone like to purchase a stock Takuma tail?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.