Shallow Water

Forums General Chat Shallow Water

Participant

Here on the east coast our surf is often quite small and the waves don’t feel the bottom and break until it is quite shallow. A falling tide is what often ends a session. Sometimes when the wave sucks up just before breaking I find myself taking off with the foil resting on the bottom. Fortunately it’s sand not rocks or coral, but probably not a good idea! Was wondering how much I should worry about little abrasions and scratches on my foil. Anybody out there have a scratched up well used foil and can you tell if it has diminished performance? I have an Armstrong hs1550 on a 72cm mast (a great setup), not too excited about getting a shorter mast. Can’t afford to be getting new foils all the time. Think I will try the wet sanding down to 1200 grit and try to restrain myself from going out at extreme low tides.
    I think my obsession with foiling is what has kept me sane this strange year. Saw the leading edge of a fish at the fish market yesterday and it was a perfect foil section- biomimicry?

Cheers

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Replies
    TooMuchEpoxy
    Participant

This is why i LOVE my shit foil. Ill bob the board in front of me, plant the rear wing in the sand and rock forward and push off that for no paddle takeoffs!

Takeoffs arent what wears my foil out tho its hard groundings on foil at speed! Im down to the core for the 2nd time on my front wing. Just thicken up some epoxy with silica and glass fiber and shape that shit back up!

I used to ride the fancy carbon gofoil and im so glad i switched to my homebrew with naish front wing! What i lost in “performance” i gained back in freedom of not giving a shit 4 times over

TooMuchEpoxy
    Participant

Push that shit to the limit!

rippitgood
    Participant

Thanks for your input, don’t think I’ll stress about babying my foil so much. Two incredible sessions yesterday in clean waist high waves, with a few of those dry-docked-on-the-sand no paddle chip-ins. This foiling thing ain’t no flash in the pan!

ericfoil

I like that–“dry dock no paddle chip in take off.”

I’ve had some amazing sessions in super tiny surf–if you can just get up and going, you’re foiling–you know how it is. I ordered the 27″ Go Foil mast specifically for those days. Micro wave foiling is so fun.

My GL-180 is getting pretty black on the leading edge and wing tips. I haven’t noticed any reduction in performance. I keep telling myself that I’m going to do A “body shop job” On it and make it new again, but I never get around to it.

Hdip
    Participant

Yeah, like everyone else. I just stand on the rocks and hold the foil at half mast if necessary until the wave get’s to me, jump onto my belly and maybe one paddle then go. Once you’re on the wave you have much more depth of water to work with. Plus you’re up high on the mast already.

Scratched on foil wings aren’t that big of an issue. If it starts to whistle sand it til it stops. How many layer’s of carbon are these things made out of anyway.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.