Put a hole in my head

Forums Gear Reviews and Advice Put a hole in my head

Participant

It was gonna be a great morning, only one other guy out, soft little windswell peaks all over the lineup. I got a decent warmup ride to a double that deposited me back in the take off spot. Another mini peak popped up, the takeoff didn’t go right and I jumped off, no biggie. Bump, no pain but I felt the wing put pressure on my skin. I knew before i touched it, I was opened up. One inch gash on my forehead about a 1/8 inch deep, bled pretty good. Luckily they haven’t turned the showers off at San O and I got cleaned up decently before having to ride back to the car.

This is the third head bump from a wing since I’ve started and I think its time I start wearing at least a little protection.

Just took a pretty good look at the Soft Surf Helmet Tom Carroll is wearing and I think its too much. I’m thinking maybe a 2mm hood should be enough to keep from getting scraped and bumped. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Replies
    TooMuchEpoxy
    Participant

I wear a bump cap. Plastic liner that goes in whatever hat. Just enough.

surfcowboy
    Participant

Yeah, I modified a bump cap with a little 1/8” EVA padding. Can’t really see it under a cap (I sprayed mine black) and will keep you from stitches.

MightyMike
    Participant

Thanks for the replies!

Surfcowboy I read your post on standupzone. Good ideas!

How well does the cap stay on after a fall for you guys? The times I’ve been bumped have always been with me in the water already and I assume the foil has done a u-turn into me or is descending on top of me after my ejection.

I think a 2mm hood would keep me from get sliced, but a bump cap sounds ideal.

surfcowboy
    Participant

The hood is a good idea for sure.

I don’t lose my hat much. I wear it backwards. The bill forwards will get it ripped off every time. If I wear the strap it stays on but I hate the strap.

But really the surf hood will be more secure for sure. A helmet is best in the end in case my lawyer is reading this.

TooMuchEpoxy
    Participant

I use one of the surf caps with a chin strap with my bump cap.

InDaGorge
    Participant

This is through a 2mm hoodie. Just a fin on my surfboard. Would have been worse with my foil I presume. I should also point out that it rung my a bell a bit, and I suffered a more severe concussion from knocking my head on my foil board a few years back. I will now wear a hardshell helmet whenever I am in the water surfing, foiling, DW, etc. Only so many brain cells left. Both the knock and the cut took me out of the game for a week too, so that’s two weeks of my life so far that I wasn’t able to play 😉

surfcowboy
    Participant

Oh man. Yeah that’s exactly the idea behind the bump cap. Just enough to keep the skin from getting broken.

FLFOILER
    Participant

I recommend you guys use a full helmet, something to protect ears and back base of head. I’ve been kiting for over 20 years, and riding foils since 2014, you guys are really taking a chance with that bump cap. Falling after winging or in the surf, leashes tend to stretch and boards come back at ya to the back of your head. One good whack can be a cause to drown, break your neck, ECT… Also having ear protection is a big plus when dropping into waves at high speed. Neil Pryde and Gath both work great for prone, sup, wing, kite. I’ve had my helmet whacked a bunch of times. Even went for a session one day to find a big dent in my board from my previous session that I didn’t realize at the time of impact. Rarely do I ride without a helmet and when I do, it’s usually because I forget to put it on and then I’m super cautious of the board as I catch a wave back to the beach for it.

InDaGorge
    Participant

Exactly flfoiler. I have a Gath. I use the detachable ear protection. I’ve seen an ear sliced from a kite foil – those things are sharp. You are going to hit your head on the board or foil – it IS going to happen. Question of when not if. In fact, I just did a downwinder on my 14er last week, went over the bars, and the wind (gusting to 35) blew the board over me and hit me on the head. Just bounced off the Gath – no bump, no bruise, and most importantly, no concussion, which btw can be big problem if you’re 4 miles into an 8 mile DWer with no alternative exit.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.