Production Board Weight

Forums All Things Foil Production Board Weight

Participant

Weight makes alot bigger differnece on the board than the foil, so why is the industry turning prone boards into overbilt bricks?

I’ve been shopping for a production prone board because i’m just tired of making boards, ready to spend $$$ on a nice, light, tight, piece of kit. I start calling aroudnt to get specs and weight from shops who actually have the boards in front of them(best substitute for actually putting hands on a board) and getting the weights is an endless stream of bummers.

KT’s New Drifter 4’4″ is just under 8 Lbs, Slingshot’s New Flying Fish 4’4″ is 8.8 lbs. Ride Engine all over 8.5 lbs. I notice all these have strap inserts and, indeed, straps are going to add weight but not that much!

Im just a jackass building my own boards and i’m hitting 6.5 lbs for similar dimensions. Just ordered a 2020 Naish Ascend CU 4’4″ and it says its at 6 lbs, the new 2020 (S25) boards don’t say weight but i assume similar since no foot straps.

I think its because anything with strap inserts is coming out of the kiteboard factory. also since anything production is going to have more insert positions than your ever going to need or want.

Maybe also because there’s a global market for like 20 prone boards per year…

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Replies
    jondrums
    Participant

some of the board makers are saying that the option to add strap inserts adds a pound! way too much. install your own when you know where you want them for like a tenth of that. The NSI mounts work great, but its probably nominally lighter to sink a few inserts and glass over it yourself.

I think a lot of the track boxes are much heavier than they need to be. Builders are incorrectly equating burliness of the trackbox itself with burliness of the board. I think a light track box correctly bonded into dual stringers is the lightest and strongest construction method.

Also, all of the trackboxes I’ve seen are deeper than they need to be. Look at the new carbon stick-on foil-mount. It has slots that are much lower profile, and also insert nuts to fit. We could shave some grams that way if someone would make a thinner slot low profile foilbox. Admittedly, weight over the foil mast is a lot less important than swing weight.

So – swing weight.

I think this is the main reason why people say short boards pump better. The rotational inertia of the board (swing-weight) goes up by the SQUARE of the length. (of course this ignores shape effects – a shorter board with a full nose could have more swing weight than a longer board with a fine nose).

I propose an experiment to determine if what we care most about is weight or swing-weight. Next time I have some spare time I’m going to bring my board out to the dock for dock starting and try it with and without a 1kg mass added right at the center of gravity. I’ve been wondering about which is more important for too long.

TooMuchEpoxy
    Participant

I’m just saying, If I had to carry an extra 2lbs I’d want it in the foil, not the board.

Can’t imagine paying an extra grand for a lighter foil and riding a 8lb board

ericfoil

Check w ELS Foil Vessels or Onofoil. Boards are stiff and light!

TooMuchEpoxy
    Participant

I just got the 4’4” naish from last year and it’s great, under 6 lbs, catches well even at 32 L with me at 220 plus wetsuit. Only thing it doesn’t do is paddle(32L 220# duh) but if I’m going that far I’m pumping. Really thin low volume is great. Not having a tail kick is noticeable in the micro micro stuff hurting release but honestly it’s fine and I can tell it’s getting me into waves a little earlier on the bigger days maybe screws up 1/10 waves on the marginal days and the price was right. Can’t bring myself to spend $$$ on foiling when every time i do the $$$ stuff is no better than my trash.

Honestly, I’ve made the same journey that I did kite foiling, less shit going on with the bottom is fine. Flat gets on plane and catches sooner and any complication is gonna be a trade off in terms of performance and more complex = weight and $$$. I’m no naval architect but last I checked flat tends to get on plane pretty easy.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
--> -->