Next Steps

Forums SUP Foiling Next Steps

Participant

Hello, let’s start off this post with what I’ve been riding. I have a 7’6 Blueplanet Easy Foiler with a GoFoil setup. I’ve been SUP Foiling for about a year now and wanted to drop down a few sizes on my board for performance. I have been looking around at 3 different companies and narrowed it down to 3. Either it’s a Kalama Performance E2, Blueplanet Carver, and the Freedom Foil “Skillet”. I weigh around 190 pounds and am 6’3. So looking for a board that can float enough and paddle at a decent speed.

Secondly, the most important choice I am going to make is what size. Right now I am riding a 7’6 which is quite large. But If I were to purchase a smaller size, I would rather go smaller and learn than have to buy another board in a year or two. If you catch my drift, so I was thinking around 6ish, maybe 6’2ish. But maybe I’m dropping to the low to fast.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, just looking for some pointers or maybe incentives to make a purchase on a new SUP board.

Thank you again!
    -Jacob P.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Replies
    FLFOILER
    Participant

I think you’ll be fine on the 6’2″ 129 liter or 6′ 125 liter kalama. The blue planet and ffb both pack a bunch of liters into their sizes and if it was your first board then I would think they would be your better choice but you already have a big liter board.

Zane Saenz
    Participant

Hey man I’m a rider for Blue Planet and I think the carver foil sups are a really good choice. Your 7’6″ easy foiler is about like 144 liters but the new 6’2″ carver foil is 142 liters just because its more filled thickness wide even though it is a little narrower. It’s a good choice if you want a shorter board with the same amount of literage and really easy to paddle. The 5’8″ might be a choice if you want real performance but its 114 liters, which is a bit trickier to paddle but definitely still very possible.

VBfoil
    Participant

I agree with Zane 👆🏻
    I have the 6’2” Carver from Blue Planet and am glad I went that short. It has plenty of volume for me @ 200 lbs and is actually my first SUP foil board.

Took me a couple sessions to get my balance straight and how to track straight while paddling such a short board. Definitely recommend taking it out first to a flat water/calm spot before going in the surf. You won’t regret going getting one.

jondrums
    Participant

The E2 boards look amazing and Kalama is getting a lot of volume into pretty short package. I’ve yet to hear anything firsthand about how they run. I’m #205 + wetsuit and I’m currently on a 6’11” 125L and looking to go down to 105-110 and 5’6″-5’8″ on the next one. Every foil board I’ve had (3 now) is shorter than the last and better in every way, which is also what I’m hearing from everyone else who goes shorter.

Take a look at one ocean boards out of Australia – they have a new design with a hollowed out deck that look like they will paddle way above their volume but still be really light.

I’m personally nervous about the Freedom Skillet just from build construction. Seems like its kept out of the online chatter, but there have been issues with foilboxes ripping out. Perhaps they are building them stronger now (I heard that). If you aren’t getting out into bigger stuff it probably isn’t an issue though.

jondrums
    Participant

No, I haven’t even seen one in person. Seriously considering it as a next board though. A little bit more info here, but I haven’t seen much else. 6-ish kg!
    https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Foiling/KOTC-lead-up-weeks

TooMuchEpoxy
    Participant

A note on the Kalamas. Make sure to call them and talk to someone and get all the stats on the board before your order. Don’t trust that website.

I ordered a prone board (last year’s model on sale for $600) and it didn’t come with a tuttle (as advertised) not carbon construction (as pictured) and it weighed 9Lbs (inexcusably heavy for a 4’6″ prone)

I will say tho that their service after the fact was great. Took the board back gave my money back no problem. Avoid that hassle tho and have a conversation with them before hand to make sure there’s no surprises. I would say this goes for any board your not able to check out in person, insist on talking to someone who has the product in their hands.

Talk about weight, construction (how are the boxes put in, sandwich constriction, carbon, etc) if you sqeeze the board does it flex under your thumb, is it going to ding like a surfboard, is there a vent, are there footstrap inserts.

Omar
    Participant

A little too late on this thread, but you can also consider the new line of Infinity SUP Foils, the Tombstone which is a more oriented short lenght boards. Here are the measures that will be available in summer. I’m going for the 5’2 with 90 liters, I’m only @155 lbs.

jondrums
    Participant

I’ll make an updated post on the One foil board I got in the mail earlier this month. I just got out on the water with it and am 2 sessions in. Its 107L and paddles like 107L (pretty tippy for me). Its under 14lbs with tuttle+slots+footstrap inserts! Construction is absolutely beautiful. The shape is working great for touchdowns and weight is great for turns and pumping but it is pretty sluggish to get out of the water as compared to other boards I’ve ridded that have a flatter wider front end. Scooped deck holding water may also be a contributing factor. Its a sweet board, and I do wish I had about 10 more liters for stability, which would probably get it out of the water much easier too. I’ll report more when I get a few more sessions.

nesterg
    Participant

I’ve heard it said the board you should be on is the smallest board you can stand on. I’m questioning that right now. I just downsized from a 5’8” Kalama board to a 5 foot and 90 Ltr board very similar in shape to Kalama. I’ve adjusted to the balance but have not yet adjusted to accelerating it for lift off. Even though this board is over a pound lighter since it has less volume it sits lower in the water and therefore has more drag and accelerates slower.
    I guess I need to get stronger and or learn better technique.
    I’m 150 lbs and doing downwind foiling.

jetboyski
    Participant

Wow! Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I totally forgot I had made this post, unfortunately, I didn’t turn the notifications on. In the end, I went with the 6”2 Blueplanet board. Honestly, I love this board, more than enough float for myself. It’s light for how wide and thick it is. At first, I was skeptical about the length when it first came in the mail. I couldn’t stand up for long and if I did I would fall right back in. But after 3-4 sessions I was able to paddle around through waves and did not fall. So for anyone riding a larger SUP looking to go smaller. Just do it! It was totally worth it, I could pump way farther due to the shorter board, and maneuverability was increased tremendously! So at the end worth every fall!! Yeah it might take some getting used to, but in the end so worth it!!!!

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.