Naish mast, is it a noodle?

Forums Gear Reviews and Advice Naish mast, is it a noodle?

Participant

That mast looks light and flexy like a noodle. Anyone have an opinion?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Replies
    FLFOILER
    Participant

I had a naish XL on my sup and I could feel a lot of the flex. Went to Neil Pryde and it felt much better then to Axis and I haven’t found anything to compare in stiffness. The less stiff the mast, the less time I could stay out sup’ing. Probly not much of an issue if you’re proning.

Kane DW

Just rode the 2021 mast a few days ago and yes pretty flexible.

FoilFrother
    Participant

There’s been a fair few bent Naish masts around here in the past year since I stared foiling.
    I never noticed the flex, but I was a full beginner while I was on Naish.

TooMuchEpoxy
    Participant

Yeah, the 19M wide axis mast is really close in specs to the old orange LF mast i’m using. It seems like to get the appropriate stiffness it needs to be heavier (NP, Slingshot) or wider(axis, my old LF). Asking for a friend who is considering moving to the naish setup i’ll probably just mill him a fuselage for the naish HA wing that matches his slingshot mast.

crissy
    Participant

I’ve found the 2021 mast relatively stiff; I think that the connection between fuselage and mast seems to be the weaker link. There is a bit of flex at that joint. I’ve notice while winging this setup (1240HA Front Wing, HA280 Stab, 64cm Fuselage, 95cm mast) that on a tight reach the foil seems to temporarily wash out/slideout. It’s generally accompanied by a sucking sound at the water level. It could be my stance but I wonder if it’s the fuselage twisting relative to mast? Anyone else experienced this phenomena?

TooMuchEpoxy
    Participant

for my mast steup with the simple butt joint(no socket on fuse) its really tight and movement free until its comprimised. If the bolts are ever loose and the fuselage is allowed to wobble under load it deforms the flat end of the mast. After this point there will be wobble no matter how tight the connection is torqued. a socketeted (old naish) or socket and flanged(new s25 naish) are probably more resistant to this deformation but would also be impossible to fix once this happens. I can just throw my mast on the mill, take off a few thousandths and have it flat again.

surfcowboy
    Participant

I’ll add that your weight and Wing matter a lot. I’m 63kg, 138lbs. On a midsized or smaller wing those standard masts are stiff enough. Large wings or heavier riders make a difference so before you listen to the internet, know that what’s a noodle to someone else might be fine for you.

Also there is still debate on mast flex (and everything else in this sport lol) being good or bad. I don’t ride Naish, or rep them, just offering that for smaller riders, and beginners, options are more open. Naish used to use (no idea about now) the same mast that half the industry used and that has been widely discussed as flexy, yet a lot of foils used it. Not saying it is or was good, just that like 4 or more companies used that same mast material lol.

I still joke that this industry is just a weird MLM and there’s only one company behind it releasing different, incompatible gear every 4 months under a new name, rotating the tech releases to extract the most money out of us. Haha. One day it will come out that Robbie Naish or Starboard invented and runs all the companies and that Kane is just a deep fake sim created in software to sell custom tails.

Anyone wanna fight over 6mm or 8mm, tory or hex hardware? 😉

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.