My next set up

Forums Gear Reviews and Advice My next set up

Participant

Hi everyone I’m just wanting some advice on my next set up. I started foiling about 6 months ago and I started on a naish thrust xl and a 5’8 hover ascend.
    I can do some ok turns and pump back out then I borrowed a 5 ft jp off a friend and first session on that I started linking waves.
    I’m about 6 ft and 185 pounds and I feel this wing is a bit over powered in 3 to 4 ft surf.
    I’ve been looking at getting a new set up. Something that’s good at pumping and surfs alright too. I’ve been looking at the axis 900 and 820, the Neil pryde medium slim and the starboard 1300. I’ve heard the 1300 surfs well but I don’t know if it’s good for pumping. Also thinking about getting a 4’6 wavechaser or the 5 ft jp.
    I would love any advice on these products or any other good/affordable all round set ups.
    Cheers 🤙

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Replies
    SpecialK
    Participant

My opinion is a bit biased as I ride Axis. Also worth mentioning that my skills are of a relative newb.

I have learned quickly that depending on location and surf, its best to have a vouple front wings. The Axis 820 has been my go to for slower moving surf. Its very pumpable and turns really well.

The 900 shines when the surf is a little faster moving. Once on foil, the 900 pumps amazingly well and accelerates hard. It tolerates breaching a little more than 820.

You really can’t go wrong with Axis.

TooMuchEpoxy
    Participant

Just get the naish 1400 HA wing. Carbon copy of the double price gofoil 180. Cheapest High aspect wing on the market and the quality is fine. Lightyears faster top end, about the same low end as the XL.

Really, if you already have the naish setup, stick with their wings. Compared to other brands the mast fuse etc is a bit overpriced but the wings are comparatively cheap and decent quality. Also they have done a good job of maintaining backwards compatibility more than most brands.

As for boards just make one, all the production boards are trash or overpriced trash.

Pezmac
    Participant

Cheers for the advice!
    I’ve been leaning towards the axis gear. I haven’t heard anything bad yet.
    As far as the naish I haven’t been able to find that wing anywhere is it part of the jet series? Is it new? Wondering if it might be too big also if I have it out in waves 3ft+. Have you tried out any smaller wings? It would be good not to have to buy a full new set up!

ericfoil

My advice is this… get the very best gear you can. Don’t let price be a sticking point; there’s only like 15%-20% difference in price between some of these decisions. You won’t regret getting the best gear available.

You’re on the right track–reach out to people with experience and take their suggestions into consideration.

ericfoil

My advice is this… get the very best gear you can. Don’t let price be a sticking point; there’s only like 15%-20% difference in price between some of these decisions. You won’t regret getting the best gear available.

You’re on the right track–reach out to people with experience and take their suggestions into consideration.

TooMuchEpoxy
    Participant

I havent hit the top end on that naish 1400 HA and ive had it out in bigger conditions. Naish treats the HA wings as their own range, if you buy the naish 1400 HA your actually buying the gofoil GL 180 design, its a direct rip off which is great. My buddy has one and we even busted out the calipers and its so close its unreal. Theyre coming out with a 1240 HA soon(rip off of gl140). The price of getting both these wings is equivalent to ONE gofoil front wing. Not to mention over $1000 to switch mast fuse and rear wing to a different brand.

Currently in my machine shop im making naish compatible fuselages for buddies who want to go high aspect without paying to switch masts etc. even paying $150 for me to make these fuses its worth it

Naish seems committed to quickly ripping off gofoil’s bleeding edge wing design. If you want the best you want the gofoil. If you want a really clean rip off of that 3 months later for half the price per wing get the naish. If you already have the naish mast and fuse its a no brainer. For rear wings i can make you an adapter to run any brands rears on that naish adjustible angle fuse. Or you can just make a rear wing from G10(flat wings like these are what everyones riding now)

As far as ericfoil’s comment on spending more i couldnt disagree more. Every time i spend real money im disappointed. My Lift wings sucked, i progressed past my $1800 gofoil setup in 6 months, the 4’6” Kalama board i bought weighed NINE AND AN HALF FUCKING POUNDS. The point is if your progressing your going to be changing gear. If your set up to pivot to something in your progression line(for you it sounds like high aspect fits that) without spending huge coin, go that route. 6 months later youll be doing it again and the cheap pivot might not be available.

Hdip
    Participant

My lift classic 200 is starting to fail. Getting wobbly side to side when installed on the mast.

Toomuchepoxy, what was it you didn’t like about your lift wings?

TooMuchEpoxy
    Participant

I got one of the first batches of the single piece fuse/front/rear setups back in 2016/17.

The wing/fuse had a bunch of pinholes where the top meets the bottom, water would seep in and out and you can really tell cause salt builds up wherever this is happening.

For me it was a symptom of shitty construction, they’ve got a molded top half and bottom half and are gluing those parts together and it makes it really tough to get a good bond where they come together.

As a good rule of thumb for me i won’t touch anything that has that sexy clear coat carbon look to it. Its purely cosmetic and hides a multitiude of sins. That sexy clear coat can only be achieved by pulling the outer shell directly from the mold and not doing much to it after the fact. If your molding a top and bottom half seperately, popping them out of a mold with a sexy carbon look, how do you reinforce the join between them without laying more carbon on top of it, ruining the look?(carbon doesn’t look good like that unless its coming from a molded surface)

As far as what you should do, hit up Lift. They should warranty it no problem, their cost on those wings from China is probably $50-100 max and their eFoil market (where the real money is) is dependent on their perceived quality.

Hdip
    Participant

Sort of the issue I’m having to I guess. It’s not taking on water but it is failing at that center join. I’ve been talking to them. They were more responsive before I told them I got it used.

Not sure I’d buy a low aspect wing again currently. Considering jumping to axis.

MightyMike
    Participant

Pezmac, you can’t go wrong with new gear, whether it be a upgrade to your Naish parts or going with another brand.

If you’re going to go Naish you can get all the wings off their website:

I assume you’re on the Thrust 2019 fuselage, to upgrade to a new rear stabilizer you’ll either need to get the adapter or upgrade the fuselage: https://naishusa.com/collections/foil-parts-accessories/products/back-wing-adapter

And one more thing, have you tried the “regular” Naish stabilizer with your XL wing? I had the XL wing and loved it, once I put the smaller “regular” stabilizer on. The XL stab is way slower and unruly in anything above waist high for me (175lbs.).

If you’re going to another brand, have fun doing the research and spend your money wisely! I got some great deals on wings but ended up on equipment that was a little undersized, I went from 3 for 1’s on my Naish XL to barely able get a 2 for 1. I have a great quiver of wings, but I could’ve spent less money buying the one I new I needed at full price (Hyper/Albatross 210). Back to 3 for 1’s regularly!

surfcowboy
    Participant

Too much, I might want to talk to you about some Frankenstein parts. I think there’s a decent market for a better mast on Gong gear. (Neil Pryde or something else wide?)

Also their fuselage is dead simple (1.25” aluminum bar stock reduced to 1” to mate to wing) but cheap and heavy. If I stay on their wings (they make 12 now!) I’m going to fix the fuse and maybe a mast. I’ll bet a ton of guys would want to as well. I’ll keep you posted.

Oh, and both SUP and Prone boards turned out great. Can’t wait to finish the tow board. Thx for the advice on here man.

TooMuchEpoxy
    Participant

I make alot of gong fuses. The end fitting is 7/8″ square and ive found that 1 1/4 is way overkill. 1″ square cut to 7/8 is fine. I tried using 7/8 stock for the whole thing and it was just a hair light and bent a little. I do a pretty agressive taper to the tail wing so its possible to get weight pretty low. I got the total fuse down to 650 grams but that was really pushing it i’d be more comfortable with 720-750

My limitations are milling a mortise for the mast to fit into. Carbon masts or any mast that relies on 6mm mast bolts(gong,naish,rrd) require a mortise for the mast to fit into.

For everything else a butt joint with the m8 is fine. I’ve done some load testing to look for play there and if everything is tight there’s no problem. If its ever gotten loose and the end of the mast gets messed up(even a little bit) it really benefits from being milled flat again.

surfcowboy
    Participant

What masts and plates are M8 like that? That mortise threw me as well. I might ask around out here. Thanks and I was estimating the measurements and agree that 1/8” is all you’d need to step it up.

Am I right that better aluminum is lighter too? I figure they get what they get out of China.

TooMuchEpoxy
    Participant

6061 is what i (and all the shops) use for everything and its a good blend of strength and corrosion resistance. Stepping up to 70 series only gets you single digit (8-9%) strength bump and corrosion becomes an issue. Chinas aluminum isnt any different from ours

As far as m8 butt joint masts out there…
    Slingshot, neilpryde, liquidforce(old orange is the best), cabrinha. Slingshot is plentiful and really stiff, though a little heavy.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.