Leashes, what do you use? Grom leash? Coil?

Forums All Things Foil Leashes, what do you use? Grom leash? Coil?

Participant

I tried many leashes, and my favorite so far is the 5’ grom da kine leash. Tried other 5ft leashes, but they are to thin and wrap around your ankle. The da kine leash is slightly thicker then others. Tried coiled leashes and will never touch that again for prone foiling. What’s your favorite and why?

Viewing 6 replies - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Replies
    exiled
    Participant

I have been using the dakine 5.5 ft comp. It doesn’t get tangled too often, but its too short to wear if you have to flip your board to paddle out through a shallow spot. Its really aggravating having to unstrap the leash any time it gets shallow.

Jason_P
    Participant

Always used Creatures leashes. Started with a regular surf leash but got frustrated with it always getting tangled in my feet, stab, or mast.
    So switched over to a coil leash for prone and winging and have way fewer issues overall. Sure the eventual coil tangle is a pain, but I regularly check the leash and pull the tangles out before it gets too bad.

I’m curious about when the coil leash stretches over time if it will gradually get more annoying.

ericfoil

I’m definitely a coil leash proponent now. I use (of all things) a DaKine 4′ coil (5/16″cord diameter). It’s actually a big wave boogie leash with a calf cuff. The combination is really good.

exiled
    Participant

I would use a bodyboard coil leash if I could find one with a railsaver.

rippitgood
    Participant

I noticed KD lifting his back foot completely up while coasting between pumps, I suppose to get the leash out from under his foot (I can’t count the number of times I’ve watched his clips for technique and inspiration. “Even the dog can’t believe his eyes” is the classic that got me totally foilbrained). As I improve I am realizing that mid flight foot adjustments, though risky and difficult, can be critical to finding that sweet spot. My foot position on takeoff is seldom perfect.

ashlk
    Participant

Aloha, been using a 4ft coiled bicep leash by Da Kine. Takes a little getting use too, but once you figure out where it needs to be when your sitting or paddling, works pretty good. When im pumping it doesnt really touch the water. Maybe once every other sesh itll get caught under my foot, got use to just adjusting my feet most of the time.

Viewing 6 replies - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
--> -->