Dock starting / static step off

Forums Prone Foiling Dock starting / static step off

Participant

Can anyone offer some tips for the static (or short run up) dock start?

I can successfully beach start most of the time now, but still haven’t been able to get going from the dock. I don’t get it because I thought it would be easier than beach starting.

Two half hour sessions later and all I have to show for it is a headache and a bruised ego…

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Replies
    foilgraham
    Participant

Wow! Can you give some beach start tips? I’m the other way around.

I can get a running dock start. Haven’t tried the static start yet.

Tip 1: get some speed up.

Tip 2: Obviously you want to land on the board back foot first to keep the board from diving, so jump off of your front foot. If you have any skateboarding background, I think of it as jumping onto the board into a 5-0 grind. That way when I inevitability land front foot first, the weight is balanced to the rear a bit.

Tip 3: once you get onto the board, coast for a moment to feel the board lose altitude, then initiate the pump.

Tip 4: find a good dock. A 12” to 20” distance between the dock surface and water makes it easier.

Tip 5: try and eye the back foot sweet spot when jumping on the board. No sweet spot, no-go.

It took me around an hour to get it ‘dialed’ so I bet you get it the next session.

mrnorth
    Participant

I have not tried a beach start yet but I have dialed both the dock and static start. I use an aluminum sawhorse that lets me set the exact height/ depth I need. I find a longer mast helps just to get that extra bit of glide before the initial little pump. I also push pretty hard with my hand on the back of the board and then my trailing toes on the edge of the step. I use an Axis 92 and I’m a light guy so that all probably makes it easier.

Hope that helps and happy to have a foil specific forum!

ericfoil

Lots of good information here. Floating dock is probably the easiest to start with. The wing can glide underneath–you can run with the board closer to you. Practice makes perfect. #backfootfirst

FoilFrother
    Participant

Thanks for the replies guys!

Some golden advise in there. I am looking forward to putting some of those tips into practice. I’ll let you know how I go.

At one of my local spots, we jump off a rock breakwall. I’d love to be able to step straight onto my board and pump straight out into my first wave.

Kane DW

Lots of good advice in here! Long masts definitely help as do big wings. The axis 92 is definitely the easiest wing I’ve static started, tons of low speed drive. Speed, height, and big wings are key. Push off hard and use the whole mast on the first pump. I always come out low and end up pumping the board off the water. Know the stall of your foil and if you feel it coming use more front foot. So far it’s been working ok!

Practice practice practice!

mckeem
    Participant

So getting that first pump with your back foot gives you a little more push off the dock start? Being goofy, I’m starting from the left side of the dock, my only problem is jumping to the board, my skateboard instinct is to land front foot first. I just can’t wrap my head around it.

surfcowboy
    Participant

Beaches were closed and I had a new prone board so I went to the Marina and tried a few dock starts. Way too early since I don’t know how to pump yet but it was good to get the first 10-15 attempts out of the way. Had a 20” high dock which is the top of what I can likely do at my height.

Landed all my jumps with back foot on the pad. I can see how this is done. Now just need to surf a few more sessions and get the feel of pumping. Thanks to folks who laid out the time needed. I was able to be patient and know it wasn’t hopeless if I didn’t get it right away.

My take? Totally doable, just need some time and boredom to drive you.

jondrums
    Participant

I put a lot of thoughts on this topic into a thread I started here. Some of those tips might help. Surfcowboy, you might not need more time in waves, dockstarting is what taught me to really be able to pump – prior to that it was hard to get enough attempts in the right conditions to figure things out (coming out of the back of a wave into variable conditions). Starting off a dock lets you control perfect flatwater conditions without any disturbance or wind or currents, or foamed water, etc.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.