Crossover boards! Surf/Foil

Forums Prone Foiling Crossover boards! Surf/Foil

Participant

Has anyone had any luck making a crossover board that is somewhat good for surfing when the waves get more punchy but short enough and with enough volume that is still good for prone foiling? Something like a mini Simmons or equivalent. Pretty keen to have a board for trips that I can do both on well. Thoughts?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Replies
    ericfoil

I think of dual purpose motorcycles when it comes to this topic. A dual purpose motorcycle is not good on the road–not enough horsepower, usually and not well suited for the highway. Off road the dual purpose bike is usually heavy and clunky and cumbersome.

A board that would be decent to Prone surf would be super cumbersome to prone foil. An appropriate size prone foil board tends to be way to small to surf.

Early on, people were trying to build these boards, but I think it’s fallen out of popularity.

foilgraham
    Participant

JJF has it figured out…

Anyone know what fins he’s using?

tsr10
    Participant

I have a 5’6″ 39L SOS Shapes With Twin Fin Boxes. As A Surfboard It’s Pretty Slippery And Is Almost More Of A Novelty To Have Fun With Once And A While. The Board Is Amazing For Foiling Especially Larger Surf And Was Great For A First Foil Board, But I Think You Would Be Sacrificing So Much Performance Trying To Use It As Your Primary Foil Board The Way Things Are Evolving. Sean Is One Of The Best In The Business, But Better Off Keeping The Two Separate In My Opinion.

zedfoils
    Participant

Mmmm, think I might flag the idea for now!

tsr10
    Participant

Great For A Travel Board Though, Maybe Go Less Length And Liters, Like 30L and Around A 5’0″-5’4″. I’m 6’2″, So Any Shorter For Me On A Surfboard Is A Challenge…I Am Thinking About Selling This One, Since I Really Don’t Use It.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.