Chopping GO FOIL P18W flat tail wing

Forums Chop Shop and DIY gear Chopping GO FOIL P18W flat tail wing

Participant

I recently switched from the Maliko and Kai tail wings. I don’t have the 18N. I’ve read that this could be an optional alteration. Chop the ends so it measures 15″ wide.
    It is a great tail wing but a little stiff in bigger surf. Maybe someone has done this alteration? Wondering what the performance results are after customizing it

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Replies
    waterwings
    Participant

I’m thinking of doing the same. Maybe an inch or two at a time. I’ll let you know what I find. From what I’ve heard. 14-16 is a good range.

johnnyfive
    Participant

Unfortunately the 18w stabilizer is on backorder because of coven-19. So im afraid to chop my only stock one. It works good as it is, so I’ll wait for delivery of new one before cutting anything.
    But I have DM’d a few Oahu foilers. And they all agreed that chopping is good for more of a surfing feel. “Game Changer”. One guy chopped all they way to 12.75″. Everyone else went down to 14″.
    I guess start buy removing small equal amounts and go more if you dare.
    But yes I’ll let you know what happens with me, when I receive my new stab.

Clamsmasha
    Participant

I’ve chopped everything I own at some point. At first it might feel funny, but you’ll get used to it very quickly and won’t want to go back.

Shorter stabs do turn better, but there is also a noticeable increase in speed.

waterwings
    Participant

So I did it. Chopped my 18W down to 15”. I like it. Loosened up but not too much. Only one session but so far so good. Still pumps well!

bbqdsunfish
    Participant

How has the chopped down tail been working for you?

waterwings
    Participant

Works great. More loose and still pumps well. Don’t regret it. I’m curious to go back to the Kai tail and see what the difference is. I’ll check back in a week or two when I get the chance.

bbqdsunfish
    Participant

I chopped mine down to 16″. I’ve ridden it 7x now and I can’t find a single negative. Before cutting, I would periodically breach – after cutting down, all that nonsense stopped. I also feel like I have roughly the same amount of lift – so no change in performance.

If you’re out there in cyberland wondering if you should do this or not, I think the real question is how much you should take off. I will probably take it down to 15″.

waterwings
    Participant

Agree. Mine works great at 15. I’m in the surf with it mostly waist high waves

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.