Cheater Starts

Forums Wing Foiling Cheater Starts

Lance was visiting last week. The wind was too light for the 4m wind wing. I suggested we tow start w the boat and tow rope. Lance was skeptical. I went first–Lance drove the boat. I was on my Onofoil prone 4’4″ w the wing dragging behind by the leash upside down. Once on foil, I “reeled in” the wing and got it in position. I then let go of the tow rope and was off and going.

I don’t have lots of experience wind winging, but winging on the little board was so natural and free feeling. Normally that amount if wind wouldn’t be nearly enough for me to get going on my sup foil board (at my skill level).

Has anyone else tried the cheater start?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Replies
    FLFOILER
    Participant

Apparent wind is all you need on the foil. Kite foiling is the same. You’ll get a gust of wind and take off on the wing and after a Wipeout, you’ll be wondering where the wind went. Looking good on the set up there Eric, did you get in some waves yet with it?

jondrums
    Participant

what tail are you using with the GL180?

ericfoil

Jondrums,

It’s a 14″ Alex Aguera prototype on a short pedestal

phils
    Participant

Cool concept but I am having a hard time picturing how you hold on to tow rope, maintain foiling and also haul wing in (with other hand?) Or am I missing something?

ericfoil

Phils,
    Definitely a lot to keep up with at the start…foil multi-tasking, but you’d be surprised how manageable it is.

edjunquet
    Participant

Eric,

Just started doing this, glad I saw this post, I only have a prone board at the moment with no straps and am having a hard time water starting. Getting up and going behind the boat is awesome and we’ve been just taking off into the wind holding onto the de-power handle and get up and going no problem. Been looking for a used SUP foil in NJ and its not easy to find.

ericfoil

Edjunquet,

Glad you’re doing cheater starts–so much fun. I’m actually in the same boat as you–don’t have a suitable wing board but one is on the way. I’m excited to get back to work learning the wing. Wind and board in the forecast.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.