Can my wing be too big to learn on?

Forums Beginner Can my wing be too big to learn on?

Participant

So I first got a used naish 2018 Large thrust surf foil and got behind the boat once and got up a few times but had to get the driver to go faster and faster and had to lean back kinda hard to get it to get on foil. I am 6’1” and really overweight for myself right now at 235, I’m usually more like 190 and figure I’ll get back down to that once I get some hours back in the water (I’ve been out for a couple years due to injuries and surgeries, and then the lockdown hasn’t helped these last few months). But after that boat session I sold the naish after reading more and realizing that that wing was too small for me, and I needed more like the xl or xxl but couldn’t find either one used or even new, they were on back order everywhere so I sold it and found a place that hooked me up with a brand new Armstrong set up and I could make payments of just $100 bucks a month!!! Totally stoked. But I wonder if I made a mistake and went too far the other way by getting the cf2400? Should I have gotten the cf1600? I got behind the boat once and couldn’t believe how much better it was, it was “easy” and stable and like what I thought learning was gonna be like. But now that I’ve been going out in the ocean at a good foil spot around my place with nice mushy reforming waves that actually reform and turn into a swell and go up the river until they Peter out basically. But my first sesh was too big and I was getting worked before I could even think about trying to stand up and I had a couple guys very nicely tell me that I should go back to the boat, but I don’t really have access to it or I would. But since then I’ve gone out for 2 more sessions and have yet to even get to my feet except for once or twice maybe but was bucked off instantly. I have a prone board and a stand up board and I’ve been using the stand up as a prone board because the prone is too small to learn on (it came with the used naish set up so I kept it because it’s a nice board) and I have never sup surfed before, I’ve sup’d around the canals and stuff for years and can do that (and I have a couple big sup boards) but my sup foil board is 6’6” and I have tried to sup foil because I’d be already standing but I just can’t do it without falling off before I can even catch a wave hahahahha. So basically after this long set up my question is; is my wing too big, should I try to learn to sup surf first and then try to sup foil or should I keep trying to paddle in with the sup board and it’s just that hard and I’ll get it soon enough because it’s only been 3 sessions and I’m just expecting too much too soon. But it’s not really that I’m expecting too much but I just don’t want to put in too much time if the wing is too big snd I should figure out a way to get a smaller wing? So any input from you guys would be awesome. I spend all my time watching videos, reading this forum and anything else I can and listening to the progression project podcast, just basically eating, drinking and sleeping foiling during this lockdown. So thank you in advance!!!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Replies
    phils
    Participant

I don’t think the 2400 is too big to learn on but you should start with really small waves. SUP is theoretically easier but it all depends on your experience level. If you are a good surfer, I would continue to try prone, just pick smaller waves. Also use the +1 shim. It will help manage the lift.

TooMuchEpoxy
    Participant

I’d say that is probably perfect. For a low aspect wing, learning, 10 Sq CM per lb of body weight was ideal for our crew.

My advise for learning prone is to slam it all the way to the back of the tracks, and your first sessions you should be able to catch a wave, pop up without getting on foil, ride for a second, and make a conscious decision to initiate foil. At this point it will be a struggle to stay on foil but it will rapidly teach foil control. After getting the hang of it scoot it forward a little bit and try again.

Dana
    Participant

Phils and TooMuchEpoxy, thanks for the input guys, and that’s kinda what I thought and with the endless research I’ve done was why I decided to go with the 2400 but then I was told that it was too big and for downwinding for experienced riders that could deal with all the lift. But I don’t believe that guy had a ton of knowledge himself. And I know from being a medical (and recreational) cannabis grower for over 20 years that it seems like a lot of people wanting to shout out advice are guys without a great base of knowledge to begin with. And they are coming from a good place but don’t always give the best advice. But thanks again and I have that +1 shim and I believe thats the one I’ve been using but I will double check. And I’ll keep you updated on my progress.

And anyone in Southern California that would like to get out and do some foiling, hit me up!!!

Hdip
    Participant

What part of Southern California? There are lots of guys out here it turns out. Sounds like you’re at a place where there are a lot of guys on red masts. Any of those guys should be nice enough and helpful enough to give you some pointers.

Put the mast all the way back in the tracks if you’re getting bucked off. Move it forward if you can’t get off the water.

ericfoil

Dana,

Sounds like you’re going about all this in a smart way; information is so valuable when learning foil surfing.

This is my take:

You’re right. Be careful who you listen to. Bad advice is worse than no advice.

Foiling will make you control your weight–I speak from experience. You won’t regret it.

You have good enough gear to learn on, it sounds like.

In my opinion, it’s not worth developing a bunch of sup surfing skills to try to adapt those skills to sup foiling (just my opinion). If you surf, just adapt to prone foiling.

These other guys have given good advice–do what they said.

Keep in mind–paddling into a wave, getting to your feet (perfect foot placement), getting up on foil, making micro adjustments to feet position, finding a line on the wave and getting going is the most difficult feat in all of surfing. Your expectations are too high. (Sometimes truth is hard to hear) It’s going to take some time. Some people are fast learners–when it comes to learning foil surfing. But we’re all fast forgetters about our struggles learning it. We’ve all put in the time.

You’re definitely doing it right–approaching it in a calculated way.

Keep up the good work.

When you get competent, sell your Armstrong and buy a Go Foil

Eric

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.