Better paddling board

Forums All Things Foil Better paddling board

Participant

Anyone have any advice on which type
    Of board is better for paddling to catch a wave in regards to either a flat bottom or a channel bottom? About to get a new board but unsure of which style is better. I currently ride a 3’10 with 31 liters and it’s very hard to catch waves on. Feels slow to paddle.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Replies
    ericfoil

Anything will be better than the 3’10”

I’m sure there are lots of opinions about what bottom shape paddles faster–but we are sure more length and volume make for better paddling for sure.

I’ve been riding my 3’10” lately in chest+ surf. Hate it. Too small. Low wave count

Kane DW

It really depends on the waves you’re trying to catch. bigger or more powerful waves need a “rounder” bottom, skinnier and longer board to get into. Really small or mushy waves are good with a wider board and channels. Anything longer than what you’re riding will be way easier. as for bottom shapes, beveled rails and medium to light concaves/channels is a good all round bottom.

exiled
    Participant

Can you ever have too much volume?

bbqdsunfish
    Participant

Flatter bottoms and longer lengths will always paddle faster – racing SUPs, prone paddleboards and surfboards designed for powerful waves all have mostly flat bottoms. Channels and concaves start coming into play when lift is needed – slower, less powerful waves – but that lift comes at the expense of paddling efficiency.

I made two longer foilboards (5’6″ and 5’2″) for smaller days – these both have flat bottoms, low entry rocker and super hard 90 degree rails. I can catch calf high waves with these boards.

I also made a couple of shorter boards (4’10” and 4’6″) – these had flat bottoms and chamfered rails. I’ve been using these two on larger days.

There are guys at my break who use deeply channeled boards and flat bottomed ones – skill levels plays into it, but to me it seems as if the deep channels (and steep chamfers) “bounce” off waves better (don’t get stuck if the touch a rail – designed for riding), but the flat bottom boards catch more (designed for catching more waves). Just my opinion. Oh – and I’m 185 and have been foiling for over a year – I’ll rotate through all four of my boards depending on the size and conditions.

FLFOILER
    Participant

I was wondering the same about too much volume. I’d like to have a travel prone that would be easy to catch waves and be able to start using for wing in lighter conditions. Thinking 5’6″ 70-80 liters. I’m 160 lbs. I figure the liters under me aren’t going to affect the pumping, more affect from what’s in front of me. I also don’t paddle or stand up fast so something that glides really well is what I’m looking at. I also didn’t want to go too low of liters cause coming in swimming with wing and board sucks, rather sail in on my knees.

mckeem
    Participant

5’0x23”x5” litres ?

All I know is that it paddles super well, just like I designed!

mckeem
    Participant

phils
    Participant

I know the answer is ultimately “both” but if you had to pick one, what matters more for paddling speed and catching waves, board length or board volume?

TooMuchEpoxy
    Participant

I found paddling speed and wave catching to me 2 distinct things. Paddle speed is more about lengths but wave catching is more about tail width. I went from a 4’0 *20 pulled in tail really thick wide nose to a 4’6” *20 more pulled in nose and a really wide squared tail block. I found a huge difference in the micro micro stuff. Side by side with lighter more athletic foilers on identical foils I’m getting up way earlier, getting up to speed sooner and getting more double triple quad dips off that extra speed. Wide tail catching isn’t really an issue, it may touch more on really insane banked turns but compared to a nose touch the tail touch is barely noticeable.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
--> -->