Armstrong HS 1850

Forums Gear Reviews and Advice Armstrong HS 1850

Participant

Has anyone tried the new Armstrong HS 1850. If so any any reviews appreciated.
    Thanks

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Replies
    bbqdsunfish
    Participant

I’ve prone surfed my HS1850 (Uni Tail, 72cm mast, 60 cm Fuselage) for 6 sessions now. I’ve had a couple days of head high takeoffs, all the way down to waist high waves. For a wing with such a wide span, it has a smooth lift profile (not abrupt onset) – likely because of it’s thin thickness.

It pumps back out effortlessly – this is where this wing rises above the other Armstrongs. I have the CF1600 (I can pump it, but my technique/weight/age show when I do), the HS1550 (easier to pump than the CF1600, but it isn’t effortless), and a CF1200 (kite with this mostly).

This wing flies down the line. I need to get a GPS watch to be able to see how much faster (or slower), but it is predictable and sets up nicely. When you turn off an oncoming sectionAs you would expect, it needs a wider arc to turn – but it isn’t like night and day to the HS1550 – it really is the same motions, just not as sharp.

I also prone foil Go Foils (GL180, GL140, Iwa, M200, M280) and Slingshot HG (Infinity 76 and the Gamma). All of these work and are fun. But the Armstrongs have this “smoothness” to them, are the most predictable (and as such I tend to push these the hardest), and they need the least tinkering.

I do have the 232 rear stabilizer also (as well as the 50 cm fuselage) – but I like to really get to know a setup well (about 10 outings or so) before I switch it up so I can better understand the differences the changes make.

I weigh 185 lbs and consider myself to be a decent foiler.

Mark
    Participant

Thanks for taking the time out to do such a great review. Im currently riding the Armstrong 4’11 and my go to has been the HS 1550 with 72cm mast, 60 cm Fuselage) and 232 rear stabiliser for waist to head high waves. Was a unsure if the 1850 would be overpowered in these conditions but after reading your review Will look forward to adding the HS 1850 to my collection.
    Cheers
    Mark

bbqdsunfish
    Participant

Here’s a couple of pictures from one of the head high days

rippitgood
    Participant

I’m currently riding the HS1550, which i love, and am planning to get the HS 1850 soon (for pumping ability). Also trying to decide between the Armstrong 4’11” and the 4’5.5″ for my next board. Happy with your 4’11”, or do you ever wish it was smaller? I’ll probably get the 4’11” since i think i could wing it.

Cheers, David

Mark
    Participant

I find the Armstrong 4’11 super easy to paddle. Im 82kg. Very happy with it.

rippitgood
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.