2020 Naish Ascend CU 4’4”

Forums Gear Reviews and Advice 2020 Naish Ascend CU 4’4”

Participant

Been riding the 2020 Naish Ascend CU 4’4” for about 10 sessions now and wanted to give my impressions.

Me: 6’0” 220 lbs plus wetsuit. Full dad bod.

Foil: high aspect 1240

Waves: micro to chest

Skill level:regular 4 wave pump backs, aggressive cutbacks and hacks on the top. No airs.

Board impressions. The board is light5.9 lbs (can’t go back to something in the 8+lbs range) and the major shape attributes(volume, rocker, length, width) are close enough. The price is right.

The shape is good, erring on the side of simple. I think all that fancy shape stuff is great but it’s gotta be spot on, no room for error. For a production board simple is much more realistic for construction and ending up with something that isn’t going to be a game changer but also isn’t going to suck. There’s no tail kick, no bottom concave, minimal corner bevels, slight concave on deck. The simple, wide, flat attributes have been good for wave catching (considering the micro volume and my fat ass) but not great for paddling distance(again 32l fat ass)

Construction – really happy with this. I’m a heavy footed guy and aggressive pumper, I’m real hard on boards and this one is holding up well despite the weight. Just a really good job all around. Light tight carbon lamination with a wafer thin hot coat where you can still see the lamination weave through the paint. Really impressed that something this light is holding up so well.

The bad- I really wanted footstraps but nothing at my price point (sub $500) or at my weight point (sub 7lbs) has them so I guess no airs for me!!

I HATE the stupid bat tail, it’s a design thing just to look a Certain way and those little points are asking to collect dings and serve no functional purpose.

The boxes are too far forward. I’ve got my foil slammed to the back and it’s working but no room on the backside.

All in all it’s pretty great. It was a small step down in length and a high step down in volume and the learning curve wasn’t bad which in my experience bodes well.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Replies
    exiled
    Participant

NSI does stick on foot strap mounts that are pretty affordable: https://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=159

TooMuchEpoxy
    Participant

I’ve got a pack but I ground hard a lot and I’m huge and I’m not 100% sure I wouldn’t destroy it tomorrow

exiled
    Participant

I’m about your size so I get the concern but I’d rather have the adhesive come off than have to fix a blown out plug on my board.

TooMuchEpoxy
    Participant

Oho, i’m not concerned with ripping off a stick-on insert. Im concerned with those inserts giving me enough leverage to damage the tracks.

Ultimately i’ve come to the realization that:

1. I am a destructive human being, i destroy things, I’m big and careless and like doing cutbacks through the shallows and pumping out back through the inside. I like foiling shorebreak reform right before it pitches, shit like that.

2. I like having a board under 6 lbs.

3. 1 and 2 are incompatible with riding strapped.

jondrums
    Participant

I’m with you – I’ve always found ways to break things in ways that nobody else seems to.

Interesting to hear you’re fine catching waves on 32L at 220lbs. I’m just a hair under your weight and struggle with a 40L – but that board is 2 years old and the box is in the wrong place. Looking to get something new and really not sure whether I need more volume or whether getting a properly laid out board would allow me to go down in volume.

TooMuchEpoxy
    Participant

So my experience more rail sidecut, tailkick/step, and more of a pulled in tail (all the fancy foilboard complications) are going to help paddling/touchdowns while flatter bottom, wider tail, less rail bevel, and less step tail (simple basic board) help wave catching. One thing that’s important no matter what is 0 tail rocker and minimal nose rocker. The deck should be dead flat fore to aft with the nose rocker rising to meet it. The deck shouldn’t flip to enhance the nose rocker

It’s also worth noting that in the micro micro stuff I’m standing and pushing into the wave more than paddling.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.